Re: Replace with CR

From: Gian Uberto Lauri
Subject: Re: Replace with CR
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2015 10:49:15 +0200

Stefan Monnier writes:
 > > Again, there's no such thing as ENTER.  The key is RETURN.
 >
 > FWIW, my keyboard (US thinkpad) has no "RETURN", but it does have a key
 > labelled "Enter".

I have "Return" on my old VIC20, but I doubt Emacs will be ever ported
there...

"Return" was a tty-derivative labeling and was once common, even when
it sent a LF o CR/LF[1] pair. Enter is much common now and closer to
semantic the keys has today for most computer users. Enough common to
build jokes on, see the two strips I posted.

[1] for those who still do not know it: the pair is CR/LF and not
LF/CR because on old TTY the carriage return was a longer operation
that could be controlled without keeping the tty controller busy: you
could start the head carriage, and while the it was going home move
the paper drum one line.

--
 /\           ___                                    Ubuntu: ancient
/___/\_|_|\_|__|___Gian Uberto Lauri_____               African word

Warning: gnome-config-daemon considered more dangerous than GOTO