Re: Configuring Anaconda-Mode and Company-Mode with IPython

From: Daniel Galtieri
Subject: Re: Configuring Anaconda-Mode and Company-Mode with IPython
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 19:48:14 -0700 (PDT)

On Friday, April 17, 2015 at 1:36:58 AM UTC, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On 04/15/2015 04:42 PM, daniel.galtieri@gmail.com wrote:
> > I am new to using Emacs, and am currently trying to configure it to be a
> > more robust environment for coding in Python.
> >
> > To do this I'm using Company-Mode with Anaconda-Mode for autocompletion,
> > along with the defaul Python.el mode
> >
> > I would like to use IPython as my repl, but I'm experiencing some odd
> > behavior with autocompletion in the IPython buffer (autocompletion works
> > fine in the normal python buffer(s)).
>
> Sorry, I don't do Python, and I'm a bit too busy to try you config.
> Here's what you should try:
>
> First, disable anaconda-mode and see how much of the described behavior
> you can reproduce. If there are problems you can now attribute to
> anaconda-mode, file issues on its bug tracker.
>
> The rest of those should be problems or limitations of the built-in
> Emacs completion (which uses the REPL buffer), which you can file bugs
> for, with `M-x report-emacs-bug'.
>
> But to double-check, disable `company-mode', and try pressing C-M-i: you
> should see the same results in the *Completions* buffer.

So I spoke with the dev for Anaconda-mode and it seems that it doesn't work in
the inferior python mode buffer, which is why it's not even listed as a minor
mode in my inferior buffer. Disabling Anaconda-mode as you suggested doesn't
change any of the described behavior, which isn't too surprising.

C-M-i provides all the correct completion options. The issue seems to be with
whatever mechanism is behind generating the autocomplete tooltips. I'm not
entirely sure what I changed, or if this never worked to begin with and I was
mistaken in the first place, but if I do the following, for example:

sys.p M-x company-complete to manually start completion I get "No completion
found". But if I type C-M-i I get a completions buffer with the appropriate
methods.

Oddly, if I type sys.p and then change my focus to another application (e.g. I
click inside of firefox) and then switch my focus back to Emacs, typing "a"
(for example) results in the autocompletion tooltip to pop up.

There seems to be something funky going on, but I'm not entirely sure where to
direct my questions.