Re: Yum-like emacs package manager?

From: wgreenhouse
Subject: Re: Yum-like emacs package manager?
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2015 15:36:30 +0000

torys.anderson@gmail.com (Tory S. Anderson) writes:

> Recently I've read various articles complaining about the emacs
> package manager (packages.el, `list-packages') given the explosion in
> user contributions to places like MELPA. Sure enough, especially with
> emacs traditional async incapabilities, loading the package list and
> searching through it is very cumbersome.

FWIW, if the complaint is that it's painful to load the package list
from the network every time, `list-packages' doesn't actually force
that. You can pass it the NO-FETCH arg and the list will be read from
the cached local value, e.g. C-u M-x list-packages.

The list can also be filtered by keywords if supplied by the package
author (press f to try it), or by package name or description by using
`occur' on the *Packages* buffer.

--
WGG