Re: html image rendering not working Win Emacs 24.4 (eww and gnus)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: html image rendering not working Win Emacs 24.4 (eww and gnus)
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 18:07:54 +0200

> From: Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 14:09:26 +0530
>
> > That doesn't really mean "don't seem to work".  It could be some real
> > problem (assuming your gnutls DLL is the latest one).  This works for
> > everyone else, including in Gnus.
> >

> Right, got it working after reading up a bit.  Apparently, it was
> simple as setting the following
>
> (setq gnutls-log-level 1) ;; just in case it borks for some sites
> (setq gnutls-trustfiles '("c:/cygwin/usr/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.trust.crt"
> "c:/cygwin/usr/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt"))
>
> BTW, what is the recommended approach to 1) get the latest trustfiles
> 2) keep it updated?

The recommended approach is not to do that at all ;-) Your system
already has the certificates stored (ever asked yourself how come IE
can access those https URLs?), and gnutls already knows how to read
them using a Windows specific API.  The only problem is that Emacs
24.4 doesn't use that capability (the development sources of Emacs
already do).  So for now you will have to live with using an external
bundle, or install a snapshot of the Emacs development repository.

As to how to get and update the certificate bundle, I use the recipe
here:

  http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/postlfs/cacerts.html

It includes a bunch of Unix shell scripts that need to be run to
massage the bundle, but since you evidently have Cygwin installed, it
shouldn't be a problem for you.  (People who have MSYS could use MSYS
Bash instead, which is what I did.)