Re: Tramp "make check" suite

From: Haines Brown
Subject: Re: Tramp "make check" suite
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2015 20:31:29 -0500

Dan Espen <despen@verizon.net> writes:

> Haines Brown <haines@histomat.net> writes:
>

>> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>>
>>>  From: Haines Brown <haines@histomat.net>

>>> By typing "make check" at the shell prompt, I presume.
>>
>> That's what I would have thought.
>>
>>        M-! make check
>>        make: *** No rule to make tarket `check'. Stop
>>
>> It seems that I am telling emacs to compile the file "check" rather
>> than test tramp.
>
> Not exactly.
> It means that the Makefile in the directory you were in when you did
> "M-! make check" does not contain the target "check".
>
> What directory were you in when you issued that command?
> Is there a Makefile there?
> Does the Makefile contain a target "check"?

But that's the point: I'm not trying to compile. The trap manual says
that tramp now comes with a test suite, and it supports calling "make
check" to generate a virtual run of tramp. It is because "make" is a
conventional command for compiling that I had no idea what the tramp
manual was talking about. There is apparently a "suite" of utilities
used with tramp.

Haines Brown