Re: Linux: .Xdefaults, geometry not recognized

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: Linux: .Xdefaults, geometry not recognized
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2015 10:23:26 +0100

>> "Bob" == Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

   > Uwe Brauer wrote:
   >> I have the following setting in my .Xdefaults
   >> Emacs.foreground:                       black
   >> Emacs.background:                       grey98
   >> Emacs.font:     -*-courier-bold-r-*-*-18-180-*-*-*-*-*-*
   >> Emacs.geometry:                         105x63+20+5
   >> File the font is recognized by emacs but the geometry not.

Thanks for this very detailed answer.

   > First things first.  As I am sure you are aware the .Xdefaults is the
   > old, old, old way and the file is ignored if the xrdb is non-empty.
   > Please verify that your xrdb database is completely empty.

Well I always run xrdb -merge ~/.Xdefaults

   >   xrdb -q

   > If that lists anything then the .Xdefaults won't be used.  Almost
   > every desktop environment sets xrdb resources these days.  It is
   > better IMNHO to use it instead.

It lists for example
Emacs.geometry: 105x63+20+5

   > I would verify that the resources you want are set in the xrdb
   > correctly.  Note that the lower case name "emacs" is more specific
   > than the class name "Emacs" and therefore a emacs.font setting will
   > override an Emacs.font setting.

   >   xrdb -q | grep -i emacs

   > For debugging I would try it explicitly on the command line.  Then
   > with the -q option.

   >   emacs --xrm Emacs.geometry:105x63+20+5

   >   emacs -q --xrm Emacs.geometry:105x63+20+5

   >   emacs -q --xrm emacs.geometry:105x63+20+5

All work!

But again when I change

Emacs.geometry: 105x63+20+5

Emacs.geometry: 105x63+20+5
in my .Xdefaults file
run xrdb -merge .Xdefaults
check whether the change is updated (which it is)

And then start emacs without the xrm option the geometry setting is
ignored!!!
So all xrdb setting seen by xrbd -q | grep -i emacs
are used but not the Emacs.geometry (emacs.geometry) parameter

Very odd.

Uwe