nXML gags on XML with one long line

From: Boylan, Ross
Subject: nXML gags on XML with one long line
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2014 09:02:43 +0000

I opened a .xml file that was relatively large in GNU Emacs 23.4.1
(x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10)
 of 2012-09-08 on trouble, modified by Debian.  This opened in nXML mode, but
started using up all the CPU (I think after I asked it to use outline mode) and
became unresponsive.  Before that it showed a message saying the file was 87%
validated (very roughly--from memory) for quite awhile (a minute?), with low
CPU use.  It did eventually show as completely validated.

The xml file is one long block of text with no whitespace between entries; in
fact, there isn't even a line break at the end of the file.  Some of the nXML
documentation, specifically on paragraphs, refers to identifying paragraphs by
line breaks.  Perhaps nXML can't cope with files without newlines?

At any rate, any suggestions for how to deal with the file, or at least debug
the problem?

$ wc KHC-Endnote2.xml  # the file referred to above
      0  344068 4883375 KHC-Endnote2.xml

The file was exported from Endnote in its XML format.

Thanks.
Ross Boylan

P.S.  I was able to change to text mode, but that isn't too helpful since the
thing is just one long string.