Re: replace-regexp, the byte-compiler, docstrings, and suggestions

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: replace-regexp, the byte-compiler, docstrings, and suggestions
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 01:55:25 +0200

John Mastro <john.b.mastro@gmail.com> writes:

> I sent this from my phone. I think the formatting
> should be okay, but apologies in advance if I'm wrong
> about that.

No, looks good.

> Would indent-rigidly (or, less likely,
> indent-code-rigidly) do what you want?

Yeah, indent-rigidly is close only this

    (indent-rigidly (region-beginning) (region-end) 4)

seems to sometimes insert tabs (one tab and one space
in text-mode, but four spaces in message-mode what I
can see). If you can have it not do that (insert tabs,
ever) I'm happy. (I have tabs removed on save but I
still don't like to insert them for the same reason I
have them removed.)

Question is (which I didn't mention in my OP), should
the region be refilled after it gets the new margin,
and, if so, what should the fill-column be?

> To indent by four spaces you would do something like
> C-4 C-x <tab>

Yeah, you mean `C-u 4 C-x TAB'? (`C-x TAB' is
`indent-rigidly'.)

--
underground experts united