Re: Emacsclient sends ^J, PicoLisp receives _

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: Emacsclient sends ^J, PicoLisp receives _
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 11:57:11 +0100

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:

ok, I figured out that the problem is actually a different one than
described. This is what I see in an Emacs buffer when I'm in
Emacs(client) and let Emacs produce the nested list that will be sent
to PicoLisp:

> Emacsclient sends this:
>
> #+begin_src picolisp
>   ## sent from Emacs
>   (section (parent-id 8) "[2013-06-28 Fr 11:01]^J")
>   ^J(headline (org-elem-id 12 ...) )
> #+end_src

but when I go to the other side and call Emacsclient from PicoLisp and
redirect what is sent into a file, it looks like this:

#+begin_src picolisp
  (section (parent-id 8) \"[2013-06-28 Fr
  11:01]^J\")_^J (headline (org-elem-id 12 ...) )
#+end_src

thus the underscore (_) is already present in the nested list before it
is sent to PicoLisp, so it must be a problem on the Emacs side (and it
is not that ^J is transformed into _, ^J is treated correctly, but for
some reason the unexpected _ is printed in this place).

So it might rather be a problem with the Org-mode exporter who
produces this nested list from an Org-mode file/buffer. So the
real questions are probably:

 1. what invisible character might be transformed into an _ by the
    exporter?
 2. Why does the exporter behave differently when called from Emacs on
    an open Org-mode buffer (correct output) then when called from an
    external program (incorrect output with strange underscore)?

I will post this on the Org-mode mailing list too, but any hints from
this mailing list are still welcome.

--
cheers,
Thorsten