Re: Hang with markdown-mode

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: Hang with markdown-mode
Date: 25 Nov 2013 16:06:17 GMT

Leo wrote:
> The problem
> -----------
>
> I use markdown-mode 1.9 in emacs 24.3.1 and I get a consistent hang when I do
> the following:
>
> 1.  Start emacs
> 2.  Create a new file, say, with name changetest.txt.
> 3.  Put (or keep) it in markdown-mode.
> 4.  Write some text in changetest.txt and save the file to disc.
> 5.  Switch to another buffer, so that that buffer changetest.txt is not
>     visible.
> 6.  Open the file changetest.txt in another editor.
> 7.  Change and save the content in this other editor.
>
> You will get the message
>
>     changetest.txt changed on disk; really edit the buffer? (y, n, r or C-h)
>
> But then emacs will hang; no input will get you through the question prompt
> and keyboard-quit does nothing, so you have to kill emacs.

I've actually run into the very same thing, although it was not with
Markdown mode (which I also use). Instead, it happened with org-mode
buffers that changed on disk because a new version of the file was
synced from Dropbox.

I haven't seen the bug in a while, however, and I haven't investigated
it. There are two things that changed since I saw the bug that might be
relevant: I downgraded from emacs-snapshot to the latest release 24.3.1
(though since you're using that same version, that probably isn't it)
and I unset `auto-save-visited-file-name`, which I used to have set.

Do you happen to have `auto-save-visited-file-name` set to t? And did
you try with `emacs -Q`?

--
Joost Kremers                                   joostkremers@fastmail.fm
EN:SiS(9)