Re: browsing an elisp codebase

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: browsing an elisp codebase
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 17:44:40 +0200

Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> writes:

> M-. and M-, work in clojure with nrepl.el and NOT in an elisp buffer
>
> I'd like to jump to a definition and then jump back to where I came from.
>
> ECB seems an overkill to me.
>
> Thanks for any hint

This function jumps to a definition, but not back, and sometimes I get errors,
but I never took the trouble to investigate:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
;; jumps to the source of the symbol at point
(defun tj/goto-symbol-definition ()
  "jump to the source of the symbol at point."
  (interactive)
  (require 'finder)
  (let ((thing (intern (thing-at-point 'symbol))))
    (if (functionp thing)
        (find-function thing)
      (find-variable thing))))

(global-set-key (kbd "C-c f") 'tj/goto-symbol-definition)
#+end_src

But shouldn't etags work in elisp buffers??

--
cheers,
Thorsten