Re: Is Emacs very alive, active and improving?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Is Emacs very alive, active and improving?
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 22:44:21 +0200

Carson Chittom <carson@wistly.net> writes:

>> Thanks for that picture.  It confirms my personal
>> hunchy feel that 20 years ago emacs-vi were kind of
>> neck to neck; whereas today emacs is increasingly in
>> the category: "Whazzat??" for young programmers.
>
> It's been a while (several years) since I've used
> Debian, but as I recall, the vim-common package is
> installed by default; whereas you have to explicitly
> install Emacs.  I'm not saying your "hunchy feel" is
> wrong (I have no idea about that), just that you can't
> get to your conclusion from the graph alone.

Yeah? Debian is the only distro I used and I can't
recall installing Emacs, but then again, installing with
aptitude is so fast it is nothing you'd remember
anyway. If Emacs isn't on Debian by default (the coolest
and most classy of distros ;) then Emacs lobbyists
should try to make that so. (But I have a hard time
believing that's the case. If so, *why*?)

--
Emanuel Berg, programmer-for-rent. CV, projects, etc at uXu
underground experts united:  http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573