Re: java develeopment

From: Filipp Gunbin
Subject: Re: java develeopment
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 14:52:07 +0400

On 19/03/2013 18:12 +0400, Rich Johns wrote:

> It appears that the jdee (java development env) project has been abandoned
> for the most part. I am currently  running  with emacs 22 and jdee under
> ubuntu 10.04 LTS byt I need to move up to ubuntu 12.04 LTS and have
> discovered that the jdee is not available.
>
> I am still hopeful that the jdee package will make a come back, but if it
> should not, I would very much like to hear how others are doing java
> development in emacs  23 and greater.  Note I want to avoid use of Eclipse
> or any other monolithic, heavy weight IDE. NO offense to those that love
> them -- I recognize their power and value, but one of the things I love
> about the jdee is that it is has a very light foot print. At any rate,
> please weigh in on reasonable java development options in emacs under linux.

I use the following (very minimal) tools:

1. Etags for navigation. While it's not convenient to update tag tables
frequently, it's rarely needed for me. I usually generate a single tag
table for a whole project instead of a separate one for each module. It
allows to quickly find a class/method and I'm fine with it.

2. Dired with "-R" for each sub-module. That allows to manage files and
quickly find files within one module.

3. Little self-written module which allows to add and reorder imports
with completion based on current module's Maven dependencies and current
module's classes. For the module's own classes, it just finds *.java
files, so no inner class support.

4. Emacs-w3m for javadoc viewing.

5. jdb (via GUD) for debugging (very rarely).

I also read that malabar-mode is good, but it didn't work on Cygwin when
I tried it.

Filipp