Re: Typing accented text.

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Typing accented text.
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 21:45:15 +0700

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 8:40 PM, Sergei Organov <osv@javad.com> wrote:
>> Sergei Organov <osv@javad.com> writes:
>>
> OK, thanks, but as far as I can see this works with English, and not
> with something else, like Russian? Then how do I type, e.g.:
>
> Вот 'очень кор'откий прим'ер
>
> in the same manner?

There is no such thing as precomposed accented Cyrillic letters in
Unicode (and those who fake it by using similarly shaped accented
Latin letters are just jerks with no respect for proper semantic). One
is supposed to insert a combining accent codepoint (U+0301) after the
character to be accented.

Now, your question boils down to "How do I enter a combining accent
[in Emacs]?" I personally prefer using an XKB layout that has the
combining accent somewhere on level 3, as it gives me consistent
experience across my whole desktop environment. E.g. the +typo
modification has it on Level3+AC01 (the key where latin A is usually
located).

You can also bind the following function to a key of your choice, but
it will only work in Emacs:

(defun insert-combining-acute (count)
  (interactive "p")
  (insert-char #x0301 count))