RE: ECB eat CPU

From: Doug Lewan
Subject: RE: ECB eat CPU
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 13:05:36 +0000

Mao,

While I don't know ECB specifically, my experience is that when emacs eats the CPU there's a complex regular _expression_ at the heart of it.

(Personally, I'm happy to sacrifice the CPU for a few seconds to let a regular _expression_ do a lot of work for me.

But I'm generally upset when it goes on for minutes or hours.)

I've also found that a really bad regular _expression_ can typically be improved by making it less ambiguous.

Perhaps you could narrow it down to the offending function and then the offending regular _expression_.

The worst you could do is prove me wrong.

,Doug