middle mouse paste into isearch minibuffer

From: Perry Wagle
Subject: middle mouse paste into isearch minibuffer
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 22:38:12 -0700

I have a number of tools (like proof general) that I need to use, so I
really need to switch from years of xemacs to emacs.

But.

Using isearch on highlighted regions of text is way too clumsy in
emacs.

In xemacs, if I double-mouse-1 over some words with my right hand on
the mouse, and press control s with my left hand, then I can press
middle mouse with my right hand, which is still on the mouse, to paste
into the minibuffer.

In emacs, if I do the same, the isearch in the minibuffer IS ABORTED
and the highlighted region is pasted wherever the mouse happens to be
now.

In emacs, ESC y is wrong because it takes too long, requires both
hands for me to do accurately, and requires I take my right hand off
the mouse, and return it.

In emacs, moving the mouse cursor into the minibuffer and then
mouse-2'ing is wrong because it takes too long and is too hard to do
rapidly.

In this situation, all keyboard events are already going to the
minibuffer.  Having an option for people like me to have it also trap
mouse buttons seems like a good thing, especially with gesture mice
making the one-button mouse metaphor even more completely obsolete.
It IS aborting the isearch, so purity arguments don't hold here.  This
is a human factors issue, and emacs is losing.

I've tried a couple times to have this conversation, and most people
say "don't use the mouse".  Well, if the mouse is treated by emacs
(and not xemacs, for example), its no wonder that emacs people don't
use the mouse.  Its been rendered useless.

I want to make my mouse useful.  I use it a lot.  And I use the above
idiom a lot.

Apparently, I'm going to have to do this myself, unless someone else
sees my light this time.  What's the best way to do it?  I have the
feeling I'm fighting the foundations of emacs to try to funnel mouse
button events into the minibuffer.

Thanks for whatever help, hints, and guidance you can give me!

-- Perry