Re: What's your favourite *under_publicized* editing feature ofEmacs?

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: What's your favourite *under_publicized* editing feature ofEmacs?
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 19:41:21 +0000

On 2/28/2011 3:58 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

FWIW, to come back to Emacs, diff-mode and smerge-mode both
support word-grained highlighting of differences, so while the diff
hunks and merge conflicts will include whole paragraphs rather than just
lines, the `refine'd highlighting will let you see which parts have
really changed.  I implemented this specifically to address this problem
when working with LaTeX documents.

Fantastic, thanks very much Stefan. I would like to point out that the refined highlighting is extremely useful for me to work with code as well. It allows me to do reformatting and reindenting and such things without worrying about too many useless diffs showing up. It would be even better if white space diffs are completely ignored by Emacs.

Cheers,
Uday