Re: Emacs does not recognize the alt modifier key

From: Tim Johnson
Subject: Re: Emacs does not recognize the alt modifier key
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 20:46:20 -0600

On 2010-02-12, Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com> wrote:

<..>
> Emacs does not recognize the alt key on this Operating system. Emacs
> does recognize the following modifiers: control, hyper and super. The
> last two are set via xmodmap.  xev will recognize the 'alt' key as do
> other applications - such as vim.
<..>
> ;; Note 'H-p' instead of 'M-p'.
>
> I have not changed any of my emacs settings (that I know of) since I
> used emacs on previous OSs (slack 10.0 and kubuntu).
  Well, I've surprised myself and found the solution. As a mea culpa,
        here is the solution:
        My .Xmodmap file, which is run by slack at login and reconfigures my
        keyboard to meet my preferences did not do any remapping for the right
        alt/meta key. I.E., the key remains as originally designed.

        The left alt/meta key had been remapped.

        Just for grins, I applied : following xmodmap command:
  keycode 108 = Alt_R
  ! followed by:
        add mod1 = Alt_R
        ! and now both the right and left alt/meta keys are recognized by
        emacs.
--
Tim
tim@johnsons-web.com