Re: regexp that matches newline characters?

From: Dmitri Minaev
Subject: Re: regexp that matches newline characters?
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 03:18:51 +0500

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 1:07 AM, Xah <xahlee@gmail.com> wrote:
> Line ending char can be matched by \n, but you'll need to double the
> backslash.
>
> However, this is prob what you want:
>
> (some-regex-func "<author>\([^<]+\)</author>" ...)

Thanks, but it won't do the job -- there are embedded tags inside
<author>. That's why I preferred ± to < :)

The regexp should eat anything, like dot, but including all kinds of
whitespaces. Is it possible to do it with character classes? Something
like [[:alnum:][:space:]]* (this one didn't work for me) ?

> See here for some explanation and frequently used patterns:
>  http://xahlee.org/emacs/emacs_regex.html

Very good page, but too short :) Thanks!

--
With best regards,
Dmitri Minaev

Russian history blog: http://minaev.blogspot.com