Re: SU commands from Emacs

From: Emilio Lopes
Subject: Re: SU commands from Emacs
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 11:55:11 +0200

Joel J Adamson writes:

> Emilio Lopes <eclig@gmx.net> writes:
>> Joel J Adamson writes:
>>
>>> [...] I have sudo installed on Slackware Linux 12.0, but the password
>>> prompt does not come up properly.
>>
>> I guess the problem is that one of your shell init files probably
>> (executes a command which) writes to STDOUT.

> Where should I have it send the output?  How do I get it to the
> minibuffer so I can interact with it?

Reading the other follow-ups I'm not sure this is really the problem
in this specific case.  This is mostly a problem for ssh and also for
sudo IIRC.  Your shell init files should not produce any output ("good
morning" greeting, email headers, fortunes, ...) unless the shell is
interactive and it's connected to a terminal.

Bash sets the variable PS1 iff the shell is interactive.  You can
check if the shell is connected to a terminal using e.g. "test -t 1".

--
Emílio C. Lopes
Munich, Germany