Re: Emacspeak and UTF-8 -- possible?

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Emacspeak and UTF-8 -- possible?
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 15:27:01 +1000

>> Emacspeak AFAIK doesn't support multi-byte characters.  The problem is
>> that many speech synthesises, particularly older hardware based ones like
>> the dectalk, don't understand UTF-8 character sets.  If you send them
>> a multibyte character, they either lock up, speak garbage or do something
>> else unexpected.
>
> That's not a good reason to prevent display of any other char.
>

>         Stefan

Nobody said it was a good reason, its just the reason.
I'd suggest you need to have familiarity with how it works and its
internals and history before you can make a judgement,

Given your contributions and long involvement with emacs
I'm surprised to see you make such an uninformed
statement which contributes so little.

Tim