emacs 22 horribly slow over vpn/dsl

From: Mark Hood
Subject: emacs 22 horribly slow over vpn/dsl
Date: 11 Jun 2007 16:46:50 -0700

Our IT department recently upgraded us to Emacs 22.1.1 sparc-sun-solaris2.8
GTK+ version 2.11.1.

I had been using Emacs 21.3 over a 1500/768 kbps DSL line through VPN to an X11
server running on Windows XP in my home office without a problem, but with the
new version, it's horribly slow.  Startup takes forever, and C-v takes about 2
seconds.

It doesn't seem to be related to my .emacs customizations since running Emacs
22 with -q shows the same problem.

Unfortunately I no longer have access to Emacs 21.  Before I grab the code and
build it myself, can anyone shed any insight into why Emacs 22 might be so slow
running from a Sparc/Solaris box through VPN and DSL to a XP box?  It's never
been really swift with Emacs 21, but it was usable.

Thanks -- Mark