Re: Enter special characters

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Enter special characters
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 14:59:06 +0200

thorne <thinly-disguised@spam-sucks.foo> writes:

> The Chief Instigator <patrick@eris.io.com> writes:
>
>> thorne <thinly-disguised@spam-sucks.foo> writes:
>
>>>Is this octal ASCII--or what?  I would like to google for a list of
>>>the characters and their octal numbers, but i don't know what the
>>>encoding is.  Or is this a big can of worms i should forget about?
>>
>> It takes octal arguments - to insert a German "ss", just use C-q
>> 0-3-3-7-return - six keystrokes, and you should get a ß inserted at the
>> point.
>> (You won't get anything printable for 0000 octal through 0037 - 0040 is
>> a space, though - and from 0200 through 0237 (128 through 159 in decimal).)
>
> To what do these numbers corelate, and is there a list somewhere with
> which i can look up specific ones?

They are the emacs codes corresponding to the character.  Fortunately,
for characters in the iso-8859-1 character set (including ASCII), the
emacs encoding are the same as the iso-8859-1 encoding.  But for other
unicode characters, the emacs codes are different.  You'd have to read
emacs doc or sources to know what they are or how they map from
unicode to emacs, I guess.

You can set the variable read-quoted-char-radix to specify the base
C-q takes its number, (At least in emacs-version "22.0.94.1"), so you
don't have to convert from decimal to octal in your head.

You can find the iso-8859-1 coding table in wikipedia and numerous
other web sites, use google.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
http://www.informatimago.com