Re: emacs 21.3 with svn

From: Radamanthe
Subject: Re: emacs 21.3 with svn
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2007 11:29:05 +0100

Ken Goldman wrote:
I'm being moved from cvs to svn.

Looking at the web, it's hard to tell whether it's possible to use svn under emacs. I found lots of bug reports. Is it possible?

Yes. There are some differences between the way cvs and svn handle some things. I used to use a precompiled version of emacs 21.3 under Win32 and had some problems with psvn.el (the pcl-cvs for svn) not working at all. I finally figured out to check-in files with C-x C-v and do basic stuffs only, but once I had to do more complex things, I switched out of emacs, using svn from a shell or TortoiseSVN (a nice GUI).

I managed recently to compile emacs 21.4.1 under Win32, and now everything goes well (svn-status is nice). psvn.el is supposed to work with 21.3 anyway, but I suppose there is a problem with precompiled emacs 21.3 found on the net.

If so, neither the .el files nor svn include any install instructions. Can someone point me to a web site, HOWTO, etc., that might tell me how to get it going.

Really straightforward. Make sure you find psvn.el on the net (it is not yet provided with emacs). The one I use is tagged:

;; $Id: psvn.el 18470 2006-02-15 20:51:59Z xsteve $

Then put in your .emacs:

(require 'psvn)
(add-to-list 'vc-handled-backends 'SVN)

Type 'C-x svn-status', enter a svn controlled directory.
After that, a "dired-like" buffer is created (in major svn-status-mode). There are lots of commands in this mode. Do 'C-h m' for documentation. Enjoy.

--
R.N.