Re: how can I make regexp expression effective across many lines

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: how can I make regexp expression effective across many lines
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 23:11:41 +0100

Am 29.01.2007 um 22:01 schrieb Michael Chen:

Hi, there, I have problem with newlines in regexp. Here is what I want
to do: delete anything between <FORM> to TIP OF THE WEEK inclusively.
There are many lines in between. Any regex I tried can not go through
the newline. Any idea?

Make it look for something that's not between beginning and end. For example

        <FORM>[^·]*TIP OF THE WEEK

This greedy expression would find (and delete) everything between the first <FORM> it finds and the last TIP OF THE WEEK in the buffer. So you better use the improved form:

        <FORM>[^·]*?TIP OF THE WEEK

--
Greetings

  Pete