Re: C-x b w/Multiple Windows and Frames

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: C-x b w/Multiple Windows and Frames
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 13:56:01 +0200

> Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 14:22:15 -0800 (PST)
> From: Alan Lue <alanlue@yahoo.com>
>
> Registers are a good solution, but I'd really like to
> find a way to change the behavior of switch-to-buffer.
>  I don't know any lisp.  Is there an easy way to
> change this?  Or is there some configuration option
> built into emacs?

You could try something based on dedicated windows (see the functions
window-dedicated-p and set-window-dedicated-p), but it probably won't
be easy if you want to get away without any Lisp.

One possibility is to try the winner.el package which comes with
Emacs.  It has commands to save and restore the window configuration.

OTOH, if your problem is that you sometimes briefly visit another
file, then I'd suggest to use "C-x 5 f" to do that.  This has the
advantage of leaving your original frame's windows intact, making
return to it a simple matter of switching to the original frame.