Re: PlannerMode & Timeclock

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: PlannerMode & Timeclock
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 07:37:41 +1100

"minadaddy" <dusty.edenfield@gmail.com> writes:

> I recently found an implementation of planner and timeclock that I
> think would be really helpful with project management.  It's described
> here...
> http://www.mwolson.org/static/doc/planner/Keeping-Track-of-Time.html
>
> I'd like to use this, but I'm just learning emacs and have a few
> questions.  Can anybody help?
>
> In Timeclock, how do I keep the workday time from restricting me to a 8
> hour day?
> If I start a task at 9:00, finish at 11:00, and leave for the day at
> 5:00, timeclock keeps timing for that day's work.  When I log in the
> next day, I'm still on yesterday's time.  How do I stop the workday
> timer at any time during the day?
>
> Finally, if I'm in planner mode and want to enter a timeclock command,
> how do I do it?  Each time I try M-x or C-x it puts me back in the
> buffer and I can't enter the command.
>
> Anyway, as you can tell, I'm an emacs newb, but I like the tools it
> offers and would like to learn to use it.  If no one can answer my
> questions, can you point me in the right direction?

You need to clock in *and* clock out.

In the planner day page, put the cursor on the task you are about to
start and hit C-c C-i to check in and start clocking time. Then,
either use C-c C-o to check out when you are finished working on the
task or hit C-c C-i to start working on the next task (which will
perform an implicit clock out).

At the end of the day, before you leave, you need to remember to do a
C-c C-o or you will continue recording time even when you are not
there! You can hit C-c C-o when the cursor is anywhere in the day page
to check out (you don't have to have the cursor on the task you were
clocking time for). Timeclock will also automatically stop clocking
time on a task if you mark the task completed, cancelled etc.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au