Re: multiple search strings in query-replace-regexp

From: Ilya Zakharevich
Subject: Re: multiple search strings in query-replace-regexp
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2006 22:04:15 +0000 (UTC)

David Kastrup
<dak@gnu.org>], who wrote in article <85wt7cwkwc.fsf@lola.goethe.zz>:

  [META: the following line is correct.]

> > [A complimentary Cc of this posting was NOT [per weedlist] sent to
> > David Kastrup
> > <dak@gnu.org>], who wrote in article <85iriwy3m0.fsf@lola.goethe.zz>:

  [META: the following line is a lie]

> [...]

Sigh; my mangler edited not only the header, but also the body of the
message.  Initially, I did not notice this, and built my reply to you
based on wrong assumption.

So sorry, I do not know why your name was not in weed list - assuming
you asked me before...

> So you are, in effect, complaining that your "courtesy copy" had just
> the bad effect I told you it had.

Correct.  My apologies.

> But your message contained no information that would have been
> personally important to me.

Maybe; but such is hard to predict when posting.

> Well, if it is not useful, there is no point in complaining about it.

Did I?

> > Hint: one presses ENTER to end the replacement string.  What about
> > pressing something els, like C-u ENTER?  ;-)
>
> How about rereading what I wrote above?  "In particular if you want to
> refer to matched groups in the replacements, it is pretty hard to come
> up with anything close to a useful interface."

> So how does C-u RET make it easy to refer to matched groups?

How about rereading what I wrote above?  "To make it useful, one needs
a function to count the number of parentheses in a given regular
expression.  Is there?"

Given this, C-M-% (or whatever is the key in default Emacs bindings)
could just accept multiple pairs REGEXP + REPLACEMENT (separated,
e.g., by C-u RET).

Hope this helps,
Ilya