check whether emacs session is running under local X server

From: Roland Winkler
Subject: check whether emacs session is running under local X server
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 22:59:53 +0200

In my .emacs I would like to distinguish between an emacs session
running under the local X server and an emacs session running under
a remote X server. I expect that the $DISPLAY variable can do the
job. But I am not familiar with the details.
(Once upon a time I set $DISPLAY manually. Nowadays I use ssh which
handles $DISPLAY for me, but I do not understand the scheme it uses.)

What can I do?
Thanks,

Roland