RE: Arrowless navigation

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Arrowless navigation
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 08:35:30 -0700

    I recently disabled the arrow keys to avoid temptation. However, I
    find that default navigation is fairly uncomfortable: C-f, C-b, C-n,
    C-p. The keys are far away from each other and navigating like that is
    really stressful on the fingers. Why is this done this way?

    Do most people redefine these bindings? Initially I wanted to redefine
    to C-j, C-k, C-l and C-i (because they resemble the arrow keys and are
    close to the home row) but some of the most common emacs bindings are
    there. So how do the pros navigate?

I can't speak for others, but I tend to use the arrow keys more now,
although in the old days I used C-f etc. exclusively. Many people evolve in
the other direction. I also use the mouse somewhat more now (direct access)
than I did before. Again, some others evolve to use the mouse less and the
keyboard more.

AFAIK, the keys were chosen mainly because they are mnemonic: f for forward,
b for backward, n for next, p for previous.

Another consideration is this: the equivalent word-navigation keys have the
same mnemonic: M-f and M-b for forward and backward. I use these more than I
use C-f and C-b, personally.

If you use touch-typing, as opposed to hunt-and-peck, these keys are in fact
pretty well placed. f, b, and n are all hit by an index finger (strong
finger); only p is hit by a weaker finger (pinky).

The obvious advantage of C-f etc. over, say, the arrow keys is that you need
not move your hands from the normal keyboard positions - you need never look
at the keyboard. I said that I use the arrow keys a bit more now, and that's
probably because I also use the mouse more: if my hand has already moved
from the normal keyboard position, it's no big deal to use the arrow keys.
Again, I don't claim to be typical in my use of keys.

Most of the oldest Emacs key bindings are mnemonic in some way or other,
which aids in learning. Others were chosen for ease of repeated access and
other reasons.  Of course, keys have different positions on different
keyboards, and one person's perfect choice is anothers nightmare. Thank
goodness Emacs keys are customizable!