Re: "Shell command on region"/"go to top-of-file" problem

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: "Shell command on region"/"go to top-of-file" problem
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 08:38:37 -0500

<iamfractal@hotmail.com> wrote in message
1158061465.871678.189860@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com">news:1158061465.871678.189860@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> Hi,folks,
>
> I'm using GNU emacs 21.3.1 on Windows 2000, and am a bit dim.
>
> I use ALT < to jump to the bottom of a file, and ALT > to jump to the
> top of a file.
>
> In order to type a > I have to type shift <
>
> So, ALT > is the three key press: ALT-shift-<
>
> So if that hasn't confused the hell of you: my problem is that,
> sometimes, somehow, I enter some more whereby pressing ALT > and ALT <
> no longer works, and instead pressing ALT > gives me the prompt, "Shell
> command on region: "
>
> Does anyone know what the hell I'm doing wrong? Whenever I trigger this
> behaviour, all I can do is kill emacs and start again; not, perhaps,
> the most drastic of problems, but it's been driving me berserk for a
> while now.
>
> Note, however, that Swedish television have just started showing the
> new, "Battlestar Gallactica," series on Friday evenings, which eases
> the pain somewhat.
>
> .ed

You probably hit Left-Alt-shift and changed the language of the keyboard.
Pressing the same combo again and again should cycle you through through
the keyboards you have installed on w2000. If the computer is yours alone
to use, it's probably better to have only one keyboard installed. On mine
I have only Dvorak but if others need to use a machine then it needs both
qwerty and dvorak.

Other Ed