Re: compiling emacs/nt from cvs using cygwin tools

From: Le Wang
Subject: Re: compiling emacs/nt from cvs using cygwin tools
Date: 23 Jul 2006 15:09:29 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > From: "emacs user" <emacs_user@hotmail.com>
> > Date: 19 Jul 2006 02:46:03 -0700
> >
> > > In my experience the "nt" folder is for MingW and MSVC, although the
> > > docs don't explicitly say that.
> >
> > they indeed dont say that.
>
> I think the docs does say that.  Here's the relevant excerpt from
> nt/INSTALL:
>
>     * Supported development environments
>
>       To compile Emacs, you will need either Microsoft Visual C++ 2.0 or
>       later and nmake, or a Windows port of GCC 2.95 or later with MinGW
>       and W32 API support and a port of GNU Make.  You can use the Cygwin
>       ports of GCC, but Emacs requires the MinGW headers and libraries to
>       build (latest versions of the Cygwin toolkit, at least since v1.3.3,
>       include the MinGW headers and libraries as an integral part).
>
> If you think this leaves the issue not entirely clear, please point
> out where's the source of ambiguity, and I will try to improve the
> wording.

Eli, is the Cygwin make a "port of GNU Make"?  A casual user might
assume so, as I did.  Hence my statement about the docs not explicitly
stating that.  The rest of the nt/INSTALL you quoted above suggests
building from Cygwin should "just work" without the 4 part dance you
propose in another message.

So I suggest:

1.  State explicitly that Cygwin make will not work.

2.  Give specific instructions (i.e. the 4 step dance) for building
with Cygwin (bash, make, gcc, and all) already installed, and without
MingW or any other libraries.  I believe this is the most common
scenario for users trying to build Emacs.

--
Le