Re: editing mode: .ml files

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: editing mode: .ml files
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 17:45:14 +1000

"r.stiltskin" <jkammet@yahoo.com> writes:

> Yes, I haven't gotten around to installing an ml-mode yet, but I'd like to
> get rid of the lisp association.  I see that it appears in files.el in the
> section:
> (defvar auto-mode-alist
>   (mapc
>    (lambda (elt)
>      (cons (purecopy (car elt)) (cdr elt)))
>      '...
>      ("\\.ml\\'" . lisp-mode)
>      ...'
> but deleting the .ml line from files.el doesn't seem to have any effect --
> emacs still comes up with ("\\.ml\\'" . lisp-mode) included in
> auto-mode-alist.
>
> How can I get rid of it?
> --
> Sent from the Emacs - Help forum at Nabble.com.

I just checked my system auto-mode-alist. It doesn't have an entry for
slime-mode, but it does have one for lisp-mode associated with the .ml
suffix.

If yours is associated with slime-mode, then I would suspect it is
being added by some initialisation code that sets up slime. finding
where this code is depends on your distribution. Under Debian, it is
in /etc/emacs/site-lisp.d

If you only have the association between .ml and lisp-mode, you need
to either find the bit of code which adds the entry to the association
list and remove it (assuming its a bit of setup code and not part of
the core emacs code).

The other thing you could try doing is re-setting the variable in your
.emacs file. alternatively, install one of the ML modes and see if
that association overrides the lisp one. One final possible solution
is to use either a mode line at the top of your file or file variables
at the bottom to force the mode you want.

Tim
--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au