Re: swap CapsLock and Ctrl only in Emacs

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: swap CapsLock and Ctrl only in Emacs
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 23:12:56 -0500

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@gnu.org> wrote in message
news:mailman.2846.1150169750.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org...
> > From: Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null>
> > Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 20:37:41 +1000
> >
> > Under X the solution is easy - you re-map the keys at the X level
> > using utilities like modmap.
>
> Which will swap the keys in all X applications--contrary to what the
> OP wanted.
>
> > For Windows, its a lot trickier as you either have to install a new
> > driver or hack the registry.
>
> Which isn't harder than using xmodmap: Google will find gazillions of
> articles on how to do the registry ``hack'' easy way.
>
> > Either option has considerable risk.
>
> There's absolutely no risk with the registry method.  Even Microsoft
> explains in MSDN how to do that.
>
> Anyway, none of these solutions are limited to Emacs alone, which is
> what the OP wanted.

He did say that but it would have made more sense if he had said "...only
CapsLock and [Left] Control key in Emacs." I can't imagine a scenario in
which, for instance, the same person would want to use a qwerty keyboard
for one application and a dvorak for another. It tends to short-circuit
procedural memory. If more than one person are using the machine, it
should be possible to toggle between two keyboard layouts. For qwerty and
dvorak it's a matter of two mouse clicks or keystrokes (dos needs "keyb
dv,,c:\dos\keyboard.sys"
and "keyb us,,c:\dos\keyboard.sys" in the batch files am.bat and ma.bat,
respectively or versa vice. Doesn't require rebooting).

Ed

Ed.