Re: where is the scratch buffer

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: where is the scratch buffer
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 09:22:25 -0700

Gary Weselle wrote:
"Wolfram Kraus" <kraus@hagen-partner.de> wrote in message
news:e0ijsp$qvk$1@ork-un.noris.net...

Gary Weselle wrote:

a problem which I have not found a solution for.
when I write something in the scratch buffer and save it as a file, then
kill this "file" I lose the scratch buffer, how do I get it back.

Just switch to the *scratch* buffer. Emacs will (re)create every
non-exiting buffer:
C-x b *scratch* [RET]

well, that is the point, there is not *scratch* in the buffer Menu when C-x
b is hit.

*scratch* is not there because you implicitly renamed it, by making it
visit the file:

,----[ C-h k C-x C-w ]
| C-x C-w runs the command write-file
|    which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `files'.
| (write-file FILENAME &optional CONFIRM)
|
| Write current buffer into file FILENAME.
| This makes the buffer visit that file, and marks it as not modified.
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| If you specify just a directory name as FILENAME, that means to use
| the default file name but in that directory.  You can also yank
| the default file name into the minibuffer to edit it, using M-n.
|
| If the buffer is not already visiting a file, the default file name
| for the output file is the buffer name.
|
| If optional second arg CONFIRM is non-nil, this function
| asks for confirmation before overwriting an existing file.
| Interactively, confirmation is required unless you supply a prefix argument.
`----

(`C-x C-s' does the same thing.)

BTW, using the *scratch* buffer for new files is not a good idea, since
it is not autosaved (you could lose your work if Emacs crashes -- or
more likely, your computer).

--
Kevin Rodgers