Re: yet another rookie question M-x shell

From: Robert D. Crawford
Subject: Re: yet another rookie question M-x shell
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 09:16:46 -0600

"billy" <bp1497@att.com> writes:

> I have no problem getting a shell to work.  How do I get more than one
> shell available?  M-x returns me to the same shell each time.

M-x rename-buffer

name the old shell something else... a good idea would be to name it
something related to what you feel you need it for i.e. "rootshell" or
"compilation shell" or  "this is a shell that I want because I want to
litter my buffer list with lots o' stuff".

Then, after you rename the original shell, you type this command:

M-x shell

and you will have another shell.

Remember, emacs helps those who help themselves.  You might find these
commands useful:

C-h i - this will bring you to the top level of your info docs.  Then,
if you browse or hit C-s you can search for appropriate items.

M-x man - while not emacs specific, and not ideal for looking for emacs
documentation, I feel that emacs might not be the only thing that you
might need documentation on.

M-x apropos
C-h f <function-name>
C-h v <variable-name>

These are more advanced topics and you should look them up.  While not
necessarily useful at this juncture in your education, they will be
helpful later.

The documentation for emacs is quite good.  Become familiar with it.

rdc

Robert D. Crawford                                      rdc1x@comcast.net

Avoid reality at all costs.