how to move files in background with dired?

From: Joakim Verona
Subject: how to move files in background with dired?
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 11:44:16 +0100

Is there some way to manage a background transfer queue for dired?

Maybe its easier to understand what I mean if I explain how I would
like it to work:

- I mark a number of large files to be moved to another disk, which
  takes time.

- dired puts the moves on a queue, and makes a "progress buffer"
  showing how far each move or copy has progressed. (this would look
  something like wget.el:s progress buffer)

- each move or copy is done in the background with cp or mv shell
  commands, so emacs is not locked

- Im now free to add more moves or copys to the queue by direding some
  other directory

Ideally the same interface would be used for remote operations, with
tramp or something.

Sounds doable. Has it been done?

--
Joakim Verona