Re: Annotating Articles

From: Eric Pement
Subject: Re: Annotating Articles
Date: 12 Jan 2005 13:06:44 -0800

Joe Bush wrote:
> I would like to add notes to some articles for future reference.
>
> Is there a way to do this without saving the article as a separate
> file?
>
> Thanks!

If your articles are stored in a markup language (like HTML) or a
document format (like groff or TeX) which has comment lines, use those
comment lines to preserve your notes:

<!-- like this here -->

Otherwise, invent your own commenting format which goes at the head or
tail of all of your documents,

----COMMENT START----
and embed your notes
and personal remarks
at the top or end of
the file.
----COMMENT END----

And when it comes time to print the document, you can write a batch
file (DOS, Windows) or script (Unix, Linux) to delete the comments
before passing them to the printer.