Re: very mysterious behaviour from rmail-output-to-rmail-file

From: FCC
Subject: Re: very mysterious behaviour from rmail-output-to-rmail-file
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 20:28:59 +0100

Florian von Savigny articulated on 01/04/05 20:16:

>Florian von Savigny <sawitzky2000@yahoo.de> writes:
>

>>This is either a no-brainer, or a deep mystery. To me, it's the
>>latter. Can anybody help me?
>>

>Well ... would anybody care to comment at all? I'd even be grateful
>for, say "this can't happen", or whatever - I'm truly clueless.

Well, I am not an expert, and I have never used any rmail stuff in
Emacs, but I can't help wondering if you have a permission problem in
creating the rmail file /putmail. According to GNU Emacs 21.3.50.1
(i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit) of 2004-12-07 on I8600:
-----
rmail-output-to-rmail-file is an interactive autoloaded Lisp function in
`rmailout'.
(rmail-output-to-rmail-file file-name &optional count stay)

Append the current message to an Rmail file named file-name.
If the file does not exist, ask if it should be created.
If file is being visited, the message is appended to the Emacs
buffer visiting that file.
If the file exists and is not an Rmail file, the message is
appended in inbox format, the same way `rmail-output' does it.

The default file name comes from `rmail-default-rmail-file',
which is updated to the name you use in this command.

A prefix argument N says to output N consecutive messages
starting with the current one.  Deleted messages are skipped and don't
count.

If optional argument stay is non-nil, then leave the last filed
mesasge up instead of moving forward to the next non-deleted message.
-----

so it seems the file does not exist and it is trying to create it but
failing. So a permission problem? Disk full? Trying to write to an NTFS
partition? What else could it be, I have no idea...

Hope this helps,

--
FCC.

===
Another kiddie quote: "Daddy picked them up and looked underneath. I
think it's printed on the bottom." - 3 year old son, when his mother
asked how his father knew the genders of four new baby kittens.
-Anonymous