Gnus and slrnpull

From: tux
Subject: Gnus and slrnpull
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 20:07:00 +0000

I have been using slrn & slrnpull with Debian Sarge.

Having "discovered" emacs and Gnus i would like to learn to use Gnus
for mail and news.

I installed leafnode and managed to get in a mess with it, ended up
with fetchmail refusing to download with a "query status = 10(SMTP)
error.... hmmmm. Removed leafnode and got the system back to normal.
Looks as though altering the hostname to accomodate leafnode may
have caused the problem as I couldn't   telnet localhost 119
until I went back to my original settings.

Is it possible to get Gnus to read the /var/spool/slrnpull/news
and use slrnpull to download the news groups ? If it is possible what
is the magic incantation to put in .gnus.el ?  I currently have..

  (setq gnus-alternative-select-method ' (nnspool ""
  (nnspool-directory "/var/spool/slrnpull/news")))

When starting gnus-unplugged it starts loading up the gives the
message     unable to open nnspool

I have searched on google and have not found an answer to this problem.

If someone could give me a means of using slrnpull and gnus together I
would be a happy bunny     >:-)

   Reg