Re: German umlaut problems after moving from Windows to Linux

From: Thomas Gehrlein
Subject: Re: German umlaut problems after moving from Windows to Linux
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 15:27:57 +0100

LEE Sau Dan <danlee@informatik.uni-freiburg.de> writes:

> (defun iso-8859-15to1 (from to) ; for German only.  Not French, Italian...
[...]

Thanks for that function.  I fixed the problem by removing a few lines from my
.emacs (see my other post), but I think I might find some use for it, sooner or
later.

>     Thomas> 3) How can I tell Emacs: "Take all umlauts and other weird
>     Thomas> characters in my home directory and make with them
>     Thomas> whatever you want - but don't ever bother me with this
>     Thomas> kind of $&%$&$% again"?
>
> For  me,  the  only  problem  is  with  searching  (regexp  matching).

I find it confusing when C-s ä finds only some äs and not others.

> Otherwise, I don't care.  But I don't use German that often.

I use it a lot ...  You wouldn't believe how many umlauts I put in my files
;-).

Thanks a lot

Thomas