Re: [OT] inundated by Swen / Gibe emails

From: Gernot Hassenpflug
Subject: Re: [OT] inundated by Swen / Gibe emails
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 00:37:04 +0900

Adam Hardy <emacs@cyberspaceroad.com> writes:

> (2) somehow find a way of disguising my email address on the newsgroup
> without stopping the listserver from mailing me the traffic.
>
> Any suggestions as to how to do 2 would be great.
>
> Also I'd appreciate confirmation from a couple more people that they
> are getting this virus traffic due to the newsgroup.

Here is confirmation. I subscribe to a number of rec, alt and sci
groups: they all have the problem. No-one in my lab has been hit apart
from me, and I am the only one using newsgroups. I have no Windows
machine, although lots of other users have, so that more or less rules
out address book stealing in MS software. BellSouth is a major culprit
here apaprently, having someone infected on their net (judging from my
spam headers).

(2) If you use gnus, make a fake email address specific to the
    groups. Simplified example:

(setq gnus-posting-styles
      ;; all styles
      '((".*"
         (address "gh@nospam.com")
         (signature-file "~/.signature")
         (name "Gernot Hassenpflug")
         ("X-Home-Page" (getenv "WWW_HOME"))
         (organization "RASC"))
        ((message-news-p)
         (signature-file "~/.sigs/sig.gnussig"))
        ("^alt.martial-arts.aikido"
         (organization "Takemusu Aikido Osaka")
         (signature-file "~/.sigs/sig.rma"))

That should not affect a listserver subscription, since you would have
subscribed with your real email, and the listserver would have
confirmed that. If the listserver mails out digests with your email in
them, or forwards them to a group with the email in them, that is an
issue you should take up with the list manager: in the lists I
subscribe to the addresses are removed and you can only get someone's
address by forwarding an email to the other person through the list
master. The other person can then reply directly by email.

--
G Hassenpflug RASC, Kyoto University