Re: ispell dictionaries

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: ispell dictionaries
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 20:53:59 +0200

> Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 08:33:03 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Kevin Dziulko <dziulko@klaatu.canisius.edu>
>
> Where can I find information and descriptions about ispell dictionaries?

See the documentation of the command ispell-change-dictionary.  The
command itself can be invoked from the menu-bar's
Tools->Spell-Checking->Change Dictionary dialog.

> Specificlly, I want to set the default dictionary to american.  I also
> want to augment it with a personal dictionary.  I pasted this from the
> readme.w32 file into my .emacs:

I see you run Emacs on Windows.  That might be a problem, since you
need to find the american dictionary built for the Windows port of
Ispell.  Sorry, I don't know where to find such dictionaries on the
net.  However, I'd guess that the default english.aff file is actually
for the American English, it's just a medium-size dictionary, not a
large one.

As for the personal dictionaries, see the documentation of the
variable ispell-personal-dictionary.