Re: simple editor required

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Re: simple editor required
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 11:00:06 -0700

"Paul Edwards" <kerravon@nosppaam.w3.to> writes:

> Particularly frustrating is when something like the "del" key
> doesn't do what I expect (not just what I expect, but what other
> versions of emacs do when the appropriate command is
> given).  As I turn up to a new job, don't know how to use vi,
> and it appears that I don't even know how to delete a character.
> If I have micro-emacs (or emacs was consistent between
> versions so my .emacs did the right thing), it wouldn't be a
> problem.

Sounds like you need to bone up on vi before you go much further with
your employment quests.  An employer expecting you to know vi isn't
asking a terrible lot after all.

Or expecting an employee to know about basic OS stuff like setting
the erase character in shell.. really isn't asking a terrible lot
either.

Both are very basic tools of the trade.  If you can't or won't learn
them you probably need a different trade.  Not to be snotty but your
post comes off like a cry baby who can't do his job.

A couple of evenings spent with a vi tutorial will get you lined out.
Then start worrying about customizing emacs or changing defaults.

Many basic unix books have vi sections.