Re: How make Emacs start with BIGGER xterm??? Can I set width and height

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: How make Emacs start with BIGGER xterm??? Can I set width and height??
Date: 18 Jan 2003 17:16:17 +1100

>>>>> "Billy" == Billy O'Connor <billyoc@linuxfromscratch.org> writes:

 Billy> Tim X <timx@spamto.devnul.com> writes:
 >>>>>>> "Christian" == Christian Seberino <seberino@spawar.navy.mil>
 >>>>>>> writes:

 Christian> I usually like a bigger xterm when I launch Emacs and was
 Christian> wondering if I could put something in .emacs to avoid
 Christian> having to set size with the mouse all the time.

 >> Why are you running emacs within an xterm rather than within its
 >> own window?
 >>
 >> You could start the xterm with the geometry command line argument
 >> or set a default size with your .Xresources e.g.
 >>
 >> prompt$ xterm -geometry 82x31
 >>
 >> or within .Xresources
 >>
 >> XTerm*geometry: 82x31

 Billy> Damn, I was hoping he merely misspoke, and really *meant*
 Billy> running emacs in it's own window.  I was also hoping you'd be
 Billy> thinking the same thing, and tell him how to make the emacs
 Billy> window bigger on startup.  :)

Well, if he did, the same could apply except you substitute
emacs*geometry for xterm*geometry. I think emacs also obeys the
-geometry command line setting as well.

With emacs, there is also an additional option in that I think you can
set the initial-frame-alist and specify a size there (and probably
also default-frame-alist) in your .emacs file

Tim

--
Tim Cross