help-global

Re: Update the tag database when a single source file is modified

From: Shlomy Reinstein
Subject: Re: Update the tag database when a single source file is modified
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 10:51:38 +0200

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 10:42 AM, Shigio YAMAGUCHI <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>> change a file in my editor, I'd like to tell Global to update the tag
>> database only for this file. I don't want Global to rescan the
>> project, or even the local directory, because I know that this is the
>> only modified file, so there is no reason to do more work.
>
> You can do it by the -u command of global(1).
>
> $ vi file.c
> $ global -u
> $ _
>
> If you want to know what has occurred, please add
> the -v (verbose) option.
> --
> Shigio YAMAGUCHI <address@hidden>
> PGP fingerprint: D1CB 0B89 B346 4AB6 5663  C4B6 3CA5 BBB3 57BE DDA3

Correct me if I'm wrong, but "global -u" will scan the entire tree for
changes. Although it may skip the parsing of all unchanged files by
checking their timestamps, it will still scan the entire tree, when I
know up-front that only one file has changed and scanning the tree is
redundant (and takes a long time for a large tree). Is there a way to
tell Global (or gtags) to update just one specific file, and avoid
checking the entire tree?

Shlomy