help-debbugs

Re: Processed: control message for bug #33200

From: Garreau\, Alexandre
Subject: Re: Processed: control message for bug #33200
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2018 13:19:48 +0100

Hello,

On 2018/10/30 at 07:39, GNU bug tracker automated control server wrote:
> Processing commands for address@hidden:
>
>> reassign 33200 emacs,gnus
> Bug #33200 [gnus] message-simplify-subject too coupled with reply
> bug reassigned from package 'gnus' to 'emacs,gnus'.
> Bug #33200 [emacs,gnus] message-simplify-subject too coupled with reply
> bug No longer marked as found in versions 5.13.
> Bug #33200 [emacs,gnus] message-simplify-subject too coupled with reply
>>
> End of message, stopping processing here.

> Please contact address@hidden if you need assistance.

So here I go:

As I recently found mentions of `gnus-bug' (which seems to have become
incomplete and partially obsolete (as I’ve been said gnus is no longer a
standalone package but fully integrated in emacs), I reported a bug
using this one, believing that either it would tag it as “emacs” too
(first), either tagging something as “gnus” would make it tagged as
“emacs” too (as all gnus bugs [0] are also tagged “emacs”).

I then, I noticed `gnus-bug' wasn’t like `report-emacs-bug': it didn’t
send the bug to bug-gnu-emacs, and it was in the end not accordingly
tagged (beside also embedding less informations), so I tried to install
the “debbugs” emacs elpa package to see if it could be used to correct
that.

So first, dear GNU debbugs people, would it be currently possible for
“gnus” bugs to be automatically tagged “emacs”?  would it be hard to
hack debbugs to do so (so to deal with such “subpackages”)?  Or should
“gnus” package be removed?  Or is keeping reassigning manually
preferable?

I tried at first the “owner” (first mistakenly thinking it may prompt to
change the “bug owner package to something else”), except it didn’t
prompt for anything, be it simple confirmation (couldn’t a such thing be
an improvement, dear “debbugs” elpa package author?), so mail sent too
fast, and I ended the bug “owner” (I’m learning so I still don’t even
know what does that mean ^^' (is this reversible without intending
unintended meaning such as “I don’t want to help with this bug” (while
I’d like to, but amn’t aware of how exactely)?)).

I only then discovered “reassign” (by looking at other bug reports and
noticing such control messages by Lars, Gnus author (and maintainer?)):
so I tried it, and it seem to worked, but afterward the bug didn’t
arrive on bug-gnu-emacs (why? should mandatorily have it been “emacs”
from the beginning so to get that behavior? should a followup to
bug-gnu-emacs be made for it? I thought bug-gnu-emacs was an interface
to emacs bts…), and the bug then marked as “no longer found in 5.13”:
why?  I didn’t intended that (though the patch I tried to make was made
from last git emacs version).

[0] https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?package=gnus