help-debbugs

Re: [debbugs-tracker] Processed: close 3931

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [debbugs-tracker] Processed: close 3931
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 23:01:43 -0700

Drew Adams wrote:
> This bug seems to have been closed with no explanation.  At least I
> received no other message associated with the closing, apart from
> the equally empty of explanation "acknowledged by developer"
> message.
>
> Was this bug fixed?

I think everyone on help-debbugs would agree with you that this bug
wasn't handled very well.  Just closing a bug without any explanation
doesn't communicate anything.  And in the BTS documentation it
specifically warns about using 'close' without a description.

But help-debbugs is for help about using the bug tracking system.  It
isn't really about the bug itself or about the projects that are using
the bug tracker.  CC'ing us here isn't really helpful.  Except that I
guess it did pull this response from me and of course I am trying to
be helpful.  :-)

If you would like help in using the bug tracker then all questions
there are fair game for help-debbugs.  For example if you don't get
satisfaction about why this bug was closed within a reasonable period
of time and if there isn't any explanation then I think reasonable
would be two days for me in responding to it.

If you don't think the bug is fixed then you may reopen the bug.
Beware of bug tracker ping-pong.  Once with reason is good but after
that it is better to take the problem to the discussion mailing list
for the project and build concensus for the decision there.

Full documentation on the BTS and how to manage the bug system is
available here:

  http://www.debian.org/Bugs/server-control

The debbugs.gnu.org instance is slightly different and not all of the
features are implemented but it is pretty much the same.

HTH,
Bob