help-bison

Re: My baby text to HTML paragraph converter

From: Steve Litt
Subject: Re: My baby text to HTML paragraph converter
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 17:37:44 -0500

Piotr Siupa said on Sat, 16 Dec 2023 02:47:52 +0100

>Hi Steve,
>
>Sorry if I'm reading too far into it but from the fact you're using a
>shell script for building this, I'm assuming that you're pretty new to
>work with bigger programming projects.
>Because of that, I'm going to give you some homework. Specifically, I
>think you should research two things:
>- Build automation tools - They (similarly to your script) build the

I use make on big projects that take more than 30 seconds to compile
via a "compile and link everything" script, but at compile times below
that, I just use "compile and link everything". I make lots of
mistakes, and find "compile and link everything" makes me less
mistake prone than make.

I've never authored anything requiring autoconf, and hope I never have
to. One of my fundamental beliefs is that I should use as few
dependancies (especially Other People's Code) as possible, because every
layer of abstraction complexifies the code and makes troubleshooting
more difficult. My low use of dependencies lessens the need for
autoconf. As far as portability, I'd rather #ifdef that into my code
than use autoconf.

Another thing about me: I try very hard to write my C code such that
gcc -Wall is silent. Even "harmless" warnings are harmful because they
disguise the genuinely harmful ones. I also make sure my HTML5 is well
formed XML and passes an XML parser, and validates via the W3C
validator. The Troubleshooters.Com web pages I've written in the past 3
years look identical on all reasonably standards compliant browsers
that allow Javascript.

>- Version control - It tracks all changes you do to your project,

I don't know how you found out I don't use version control, but your
right, I'm lousy at git and that has to change. I'm OK with git until I
have to deal with branches, and then I go to pieces. This, and the fact
that the only human language I speak is English are two of my worst
flaws.

I'll re-remind myself to try learning more about git. Thanks for your
reminder.

SteveT

Steve Litt

http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21