help-bison

Re: Flex/Bison converter doesn't stop on EOF

From: Steve Litt
Subject: Re: Flex/Bison converter doesn't stop on EOF
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2023 16:46:41 -0500

Piotr Siupa said on Tue, 5 Dec 2023 20:27:15 +0100

>Fragment from the manual
>(https://westes.github.io/flex/manual/Generated-Scanner.html):
>"When the scanner receives an end-of-file indication from YY_INPUT, it
>then checks the yywrap() function. If yywrap() returns false (zero),
>then it is assumed that the function has gone ahead and set up yyin to
>point to another input file, and scanning continues. If it returns
>true (non-zero), then the scanner terminates, returning 0 to its
>caller. Note that in either case, the start condition remains
>unchanged; it does not revert to INITIAL."
>
>In short, you're supposed to return 1 in yywrap. Either that or set
>the "%option noyywrap".

Thanks Piotr,

I followed your advice and the loop terminated on EOF, but I got a
syntax error after the loop. So I deleted the surplus and redundant
call to yyparse() after the loop, and now I have the proof of concept
of my dreams.

Thanks so much!

SteveT

Steve Litt